The four key Munich Aerospace managing bodies are the Executive Board, the Scientific Advisory Board, the Board of Trustees and the Members' Meeting. A prestigious roster of individuals from the sciences and business, and ministry officials direct the Association’s activities and offer strategic advice.
The Members' Meeting is the highest decision-making body of the Association, consisting of one highest ranking representative each of every member institution, i.e. TUM, DLR, UniBwM and BHL. The Members’ Meeting represents a governance body responsible for passing resolutions on the content and strategic orientation of Munich Aerospace. It normally convenes once a year.
The current staff roster is as follows:
- Prof. Dr. Pascale Ehrenfreund, Chair of the Executive Board, on behalf of the German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Hofmann, President, on behalf of Technical University of Munich (TUM)
- Prof. Dr. Mirko Hornung, Executive Director, on behalf of Bauhaus Luftfahrt (BHL)
- Prof. Dr. Merith Niehuss, President, on behalf of the Bundeswehr University Munich (UniBwM)
The Executive Board is responsible for all matters relating to the Association’s operations and is also responsible for preparing and convening the Members' Meeting as well as meetings of the Board of Trustees and the Scientific Advisory Board, executing their resolutions and recommendations, and preparing and implementing the business plan and schedule. The Executive Board consists of one Executive Chairman and representatives from the four member institutions. All significant tasks at hand are coordinated with the Administrative Office at monthly board meetings.
The current staff roster is as follows:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Horst Baier, former Chair (Ordinarius) of the Institute of Lightweight Structures (TUM)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Johann Bals, Director, Institute of System Dynamics and Control, German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Klaus Drechsler, Chair (Ordinarius), Institute of Carbon Composites, Technical University of Munich (TUM)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Günter W. Hein, Emeritus of Excellence of the Bundeswehr University Munich (UniBw), former Director of the UniBw Institute of Geodesy and Navigation
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mirko Hornung, Executive Director of Bauhaus Luftfahrt (BHL)
Scientific Advisory Board
Munich Aerospace has appointed a consultative body dealing exclusively with scientific issues, advising the Association in particular on matters relating to long-term research and development planning and the assessment of research projects. The Scientific Advisory Board has a prestigious roster of individuals from the research and science communities.
Spokesman on space technology:
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Koschel, former professor at the Institute of Space Propulsion Technology (RWTH Aachen), and Director of the Department of Space Propulsion (DLR)
Spokesman on aviation technology:
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Werner Staudacher, former Head of the Institute of Flight Systems of the Bundeswehr University (UniBw)
- Prof. Dr. Manfred Broy, founding president of the Centre Digitisation.Bavaria (Zentrum Digitalisierung.Bayern, ZD.B)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dieter Fritsch, former Director of the Institute for Photogrammetry (University of Stuttgart)
- Prof. Dr. Hartmut Graßl, former Director at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI)
- Prof. Dr. Udo Helmbrecht, Institute for Technical Informatics of the Bundeswehr University (UniBw)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Günter Kappler, TUM Emeritus of Excellence, former Professor of Propulsion and Director of the TUM Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Prof. Dr. Hans Kappler, former Director of Industrial Matters and Technology Programmes (ESA)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Sabine Klinkner, Chair for Satellite Technology (University of Stuttgart)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heiner Klinkrad, former Head of the Space Debris Office (ESA)
- Dr. Günther Kohlhammer, former Chief Digital Officer (ESA)
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees has an advisory function to the Executive Board and the Members’ Meeting and consists of Munich Aerospace representatives, prominent scientists, business executives and ministry officials. The support provided by the Board of Trustees in fulfilling the Association’s mission constitutes a major contribution to the promotion and further development of Munich as a centre of science.
Hans J. Steininger, CEO MT Aerospace
Members from the research and science communities
- Prof. Dr. Pascale Ehrenfreund, Chair of the DLR Executive Board
- Jörg Feustel-Büechl, former Director of Manned Spaceflight and Microgravity at ESA
- Prof. Dr. Joachim Heinzl, former President of the Bavarian Research Foundation
- Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Herrmann, former President of the Technical University of Munich
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Hofmann, President of the Technical University of Munich
- Prof. Dr. Mirko Hornung, Executive Director of Bauhaus Luftfahrt e. V.
- Prof. Dr. Martin Leitner, President of the Munich University of Applied Sciences
- Prof. Dr. Volker Liebig, former Director of the Earth Observation Programmes at ESA
- Prof. Dr. Merith Niehuss, President of the Bundeswehr University
- Prof. Dr. Hans Sünkel, former Rector of the Graz University of Technology
- Dr. Frank Anton, Senior Vice President at Corporate Technology, Siemens AG
- Johann Heitzmann, Chairman of the Board, bavAIRia e.V.
- Axel Flaig, Head of Research & Technology, Airbus
- Dr. Stefan Weber, SVP Technology & Engineering Advanced Programs, MTU Aero Engines
- Dr. Fritz Merkle, former Management Board member, OHB System AG
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rudolf Schwarz, Chairman of the Management Board of IABG
- Dr. Peter Volk, Supervisory Board member and Strategy Consultant, GAF AG
Members from government departments
- Dr. Helmut Greinke, Principal (Ministerialrat), German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- Dr. Thomas Reiter, representing the German Federal Ministry of Defence
- Dietmar Schneyer, Principal (Ministerialrat), Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs